Today we have a guest post from Farouk Radwan: Founder of http://www.2knowmyself.com/
Why do you find yourself sometimes motivated about solving a certain problem and why do you sometimes find yourself helpless?
Why would the same person face certain problems with courage but finds himself feeling helpless in the face of other ones?
I kept searching for answers to these questions until I discovered some few facts about helplessness that can help anybody avoid this unpleasant state.
In this article I will tell you about the 7 things you can do to combat helplessness:
1) Equip yourself with knowledge: One of the main reasons you sometimes feel helpless in the face of a problem is not knowing what to do in order to solve it. The more you read and the more knowledge you acquire the less times you will find yourself feeling helpless.
2) Learn how to learn: Most probably no one will ever be able to read about all life problems and be prepared to face them anytime. Often times we find ourselves facing new challenges that we know nothing about and this is where the second skills comes into play. You need to learn how to learn about the solution instead of lying helpless in bed. This could be as simple as googling the answer, reading a book, asking a friend or seeking expert advice.
3) Don’t become an Ostrich: When an ostrich feels anxious it buries its head in the ground and the same thing exactly is done by many people. Some people run to drugs, alcohol or any other escapement method in order to burry heads instead of facing the problems. As long as you are escaping you will be helpless and you wont feel powerful until you start facing the problems you have.
4) Have time: How many times have you suffered for weeks or months until you found time to search for a solution to a problem and managed to get over it successfully? Not having enough time to combat your major problems as soon as they appear is the same as not knowing what to do. Both lack of knowledge and lack of time to search for the knowledge can make you helpless.
5) Forget about the past: Another strong reason that make people become helpless is being stuck in their past. Being stuck in the past means thinking that the only possible solutions to problems are the ones that have been tried in the past. Forget about the past failures and think of brand new possibilities in order to not feel helpless.
6) Get rid of False beliefs: This is the most dangerous factor of them all. Sometimes a person might form a false believe such as “there is no hope” after he fails to peruse a certain goals. False beliefs don’t only make you helpless but they limit your potential and prevent you from reaching goals that you are able to reach.
7) Have faith in your abilities: Have faith in your abilities and skills by remembering the tough problems you have been able to solve earlier and if even if you solved nothing its still not too late to create the “problems I managed to get over” journal which can help you have faith in yourself in the future.
Thanks for the great post Farouk!
Founder of http://www.2knowmyself.com/